Friday, August 21, 2009

LEAST OF THESE & REST FOR OUR SOULS

In the scriptures, people and prophets have important missions. John the Baptist had been spoken about for a long time of what he would do. Is God trying to tell me that I have a special mission, too? An interesting scripture "notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he." It seems a little confusing. I am so thankful for cross references and that we have other scriptures that help us understand them. D&C 50:26 says "He that is ordained of God and sent forth, the same is appointed to be the greatest, notwithstanding he is the least and the servant of all." Each person is of the same infinite worth. It would seem that we would put John the Baptist and our current prophet above us, but these scriptures clarify that we are all servants of God, no matter who we are. As I serve other people, sometimes I like the acknowledgement they give me. I like being recognized for the good things I am doing. I don't want to be prideful. I hope to be more humble. Jesus also includes the calming words of "Come unto me, all ya that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." As I was feeling a little tired this morning, I thought rest sounded nice! But I noticed it is rest for our souls, not necessarily rest physically. Jesus is not telling us all of our labours and things that weigh us down will go away, but they will be easier for us to carry and our souls can be at peace. Reading the scriptures in the morning has been changing the way I act during the day. I feel like I am more patient. I feel like I can take on what seems impossible. I think I am understanding the scripture I just shared. I am so grateful Christ can help us as we live our everyday lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment